Thursday, February 1, 2018

Keto Pasta Test 2

Total Time: 60 min = 60 min (prep), <1 min (cook)
Yields: 10 servings
Difficulty: Moderate
Macros: 99 cal, 0. 1 g net carb, 2 g fat, 13 g protein

Original Instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaWpE6CltCF/

---

Ingredients
  • 225 g keto flour
  • 6 g glucomannan (konjac) powder, optional but I think this helps with that al dente “bite”
  • 150 g eggs (about 3 large)

Directions
  1. In a food processor, add the keto flour, optional glucomannan powder, and pulse two times to aerate.
  2. In a separate smaller bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
  3. Add beaten eggs to the food processor, and do 1 second pulses until a rough dough forms.
  4. Turn dough out onto plastic wrap, and lightly knead then shape to a disc. If sticky, add some bench flour. Wrap dough in plastic wrap.
  5. Let rest 20 min.
  6. Divide the dough into 10 pieces.
  7. Flatten and run through pasta roller and cutter as desired.
  8. Allow to dry at least 15-30 min before boiling.
  9. Salt some water (salty as the ocean!) and bring to a boil.
  10. Cook pasta for about 15-30 seconds or until desired firmness.
---

Notes:
I've used a Kitchen Aid Pasta roller/cutter attachments as well as a hand-crank pasta machine.  I prefer the hand-crank as I can control the speed and feed much better. You can also mix this in a bowl if you do not have a food processor. Serve this with marinara, pesto, alfredo sauces, etc. I like to eat them with meatballs.  You can also cut different shapes like lasagna sheets and ravioli.  If you add a bit of water, you can also push these through a pasta extruder to make macaroni.



6 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! Have you tried freezing the pasta or drying it? I'm just trying to see if I can make it ahead and use it later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Drying definitely works! I have done this many times, and store in an air tight container for emergencies or "lazy" nights. Re-hydrating/cooking dried pasta will take a bit longer than the fresh made, so please check after a few minutes for tenderness. I have not tried freezing. Please let me know if you do!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I'm very excited to try this pasta, I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She did it again. I think My foodlifestyle has been transformed by your scientific genius. This italian girl is super happy and keto friendly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also curious what you would suggest. I would like to add some spinach powder to the mix. Thoughts and potential method?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! My thought would be to sub out some of the keto flour with the spinach powder. I'm not sure how spinach powder hydration works, so you can try experimenting with a smaller flour:spinach ratio to begin with and increase to get the texture right. Hope this helps!

      Delete